Company founded at Riverside Road by Richard Robinson, as a coachbuilder, paint and repair business. After making aeroplanes in the war, he came to Norwich in 1919 managing the production of Wolseley bodies for Bolton & Paul and coachbuilding for Howes & Sons.
Drivurself name registered - ahead of our time!
Riverside Road - First Base. The business became a limited company in
1956 and the following year diversified its activities, becoming
Volkswagen dealers. Present staff numbers about 55, and its expected to
increase as the new building becomes fully operational.
The Mercedes-Benz franchise was added in 1964 and by 1970 the business outgrew the Riverside Road premises. Redevelopment moved to Heigham Causeway in 1974. The model Volkswagen dealership premises, at the time were one of the largest in the country.
25 Years with Volkswagen. The company is celebrating a Silver Jubilee, 25 years of Volkswagen.
A decade after the move to Heigham Causeway, Mercedes-Benz was further expanded. As a sign of confidence Mercedes-Benz built a new, one acre site with ample parking. Heigham Street has now become the popular and convenient “motor precinct” adjacent to the city - and Robinsons are to be congratulated for their very considerable enhancement to the appearance of the area.
Staff from Norwich Audi and Volkswagen dealer R. Robinson & Co. Ltd. have won an award in a nationwide contest to promote levels of after sales service. A team of four employees won a bronze statuette in the regional finals of the competition held in Kenilworth. The ERIC competition which stand for economy, reliability, integrity and care - is open to dealers all over the country.
A major incident in Norwich really put the city in the forefront of all the press. A 26ft-deep hole suddenly appeared near Norwich’s Catholic Cathedral swallowing up a bus. Gas and water mains were ruptured, but passengers escaped unhurt. Robinsons happened to have an advert on the back of the bus which was great publicity as photos of this incident were broadcast in national papers and news.
Bespoke Audi centre opened on 30th October 1997. Robinsons Audi became Europe’s first dedicated Audi Centre. This led to Audi introducing a number of Audi Centres in the UK operating separately from Volkswagen as “stand alone” sites. The Heigham Street site became exclusively Volkswagen.
Nearly 1,000 customer and guests enjoyed an evening with racing legend Sir Stirling Moss to Mark the official opening of Mercedes-Benz of Norwich new showroom. The purpose built premises doubled in size from their former Heigham Street showroom.
Robinsons now established throughout East Anglia. Branching from as high as Stamford down to Ipswich in Suffolk. Many more brands under our belt and our own Used car dealerships called Auto Devotion.
Robinsons turns 90 years old. Logo and brand now established.